Monday, August 6, 2012

Day 6: The Bittersweetness of Long Weekends



Well, that was a great weekend. We had a blast on our staycation and definitely appreciated the hours of quiet that only an evening of childlessness can bring.  But, now we’re home and its back to the every day grind!

This week is a short week. That’s always bittersweet for me.  The problem is that, as nice as long weekends are, they don’t actually reduce your amount of work, just the amount of time you have to get it all done by.  Ultimately, no matter how you slice the pie, the facts remain the same- long weekends generally result in compensating for lost work hours by pulling some overtime on the remaining work days.

Now, as a work from home mom, this isn’t always that big a deal. I’ve got a pretty flexible schedule anyway and I’m accustomed to the late night hours that come along with self-employment.  The ‘real’ pain in the ass is when a huge amount of the actual work you need to do depends on other establishments being open for business. So all the activities that usually get smushed into Monday daytime hours (which is a surprising amount) now have to get smushed into Tuesday…which is also grocery day, which is always extra special fun.

Anyway, the point of this all is to say: I just don’t have time tonight to think up a clever blog post. I’m too busy trying to get caught up so that I don’t drown myself in work this week.  Sorry to disappoint.

That said, don’t mistake this pseudo-rant for a complaint- I had a fabulous three day weekend and would do it all over again in a heartbeat. I’m happy to trade off a few stray hours in the evening for the bonus quality time with my family. Truly, I’d have it no other way.



This blog is part of the 2012 Summer Blog Challenge (31 posts in 31 days).  To follow along with my fellow writers, visit their blogs: 
Natasha at Natural Urban Mamas
Meaghan at Magz D Life
Aramelle at One Wheeler's World

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm glad that you at least had a great time on your long weekend. I hope that you don't get buried too deeply before you're able to dig yourself out as you catch up.

    <3 you big time!

    ReplyDelete